Common Complaints and FAQs

Common Complaints

Garbage and Trash accumulation is prohibited in the City of Bluefield. It is the responsibility of the violator to remove such matter immediately per the Code of Ordinances Chapter 32.

Grass and weeds shall not grow over one foot tall. Persons having control of any lot, ground, or any part of a lot shall be held responsible per the Code of Ordinances Chapter 14.

The storage of abandoned or unattended motor vehicles is prohibited per the Code of Ordinances Chapter 40. Abandoned or unattended means any motor vehicle, or major part thereof, which is inoperative or unlicensed or uninsured, which has been allowed to remain on public or private property for any period of time over five days.

A hedge which is located along a street line shall be kept trimmed so that no portion shall protrude over the sidewalk. Where there is no sidewalk, any such hedge shall be kept trimmed so that no portion of it protrudes past the boundary line of the residential plot upon which the hedge is located per the Code of Ordinances Chapter 44.

No accessory structure (i.e. out buildings, satellite dishes, dog kennels, etc.) shall be allowed in a front yard, except as a variance by the Zoning Board of Adjustment per the Code of Ordinances Chapter 44.

City Code of Ordinances

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I report a code violation?
A: The best way to report a code violation is to utilize our Fix-It Bluefield App.

Q: What happens after I report a code violation?
A: A code enforcement officer will investigate the alleged violation(s). Pictures and a notice are sent to the property owner after investigation. Please note investigations are prioritized due to level of urgency and case load. The property owner is given seven days to make corrections. Extensions may be granted to property owners in special circumstances. If corrections are not made, a summons to the Municipal Court is issued. The matter is then handled by the municipal court judge.

Q: What should I do if I receive a notice of violation?
A: Contact the Code Enforcement Officer who signed the notice. The officer will be happy to assist you in resolving the situation.

Q: How do I report a street light that is out?
A: Download the Fix-It Bluefield app on your smartphone or click here.

Q: Why do I have to maintain the sidewalk and the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street adjacent to my property?
A: Sidewalks are maintained by the adjacent property owners per the City Code of Ordinances Chapter 34. Maintenance of the portion of the public right-of-way, between the sidewalk and the edge of the street (often known as the parkway), is the responsibility of the owner of the adjacent property. This includes mowing the grass, edging, trimming shrubs and keeping the area free of trash and debris.

Q: Who is responsible for code violations on a rental property?
A: Ultimate responsibility falls to the property owner to ensure the rental property is maintained and meets code requirements. It is recommended that tenants include a property maintenance schedule and responsibilities within their lease.

Q: How can I check the status of my court date?
A: Please contact the municipal court clerk at 304.323.2464.

Q: How do I get the City of Bluefield to pick up a large pile of debris or trash?
A: The City of Bluefield offers special trash pick-up service on demand. Please call 304-327-2401 for service. Additional fees may be incurred.

Q: How many animals can I own if I live in the city limits?
A: Residents are allowed to own three animals per City Code of Ordinances Chapter 4. All dogs must be tagged with the City of Bluefield. Dogs tags can be obtained at the Municipal Building.

Q: Does the City of Bluefield have a leash law?
A: The City Code of Ordinances Chapter 4 states that "no person shall allow any dog owned by him or in his custody to run at large within the city. The term "running at large" means allowing a dog to leave the property limits of property owned, leased or occupied by its owner without restraint. The term "restraint" means being secured by a leash or lead, or being under the control of a responsible person and obedient to that person's command."

Q: Can I own a pit bull or wolf-hybrid in the City of Bluefield?
A: Owners that have registered their pit bulls and wolf-hybrid breeds in the City of Bluefield may maintain ownership. At this time, new pit bulls and wolf-hybrids are not allowed to be brought into the city limits. Dogs should be muzzled at all times when not inside home or kennel. Please reference the City Code of Ordinances Chapter 4 for more information.

Q: Will the City of Bluefield take care of my wildlife problem?
A: Wildlife issues are to be handled by licensed agencies and the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources.  Please contact the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources at 304.558.2771 should you need assistance.